Saturday, September 15, 2012

What Veganism is to Me.

Veganism is...

  • being healthier
  • feeling good about what you're putting into your body
  • knowing your food didn't suffer before it got to you
  • having boundless more energy
  • getting over illnesses and ailments naturally
  • watching inches come off my body
  • becoming a chef
  • never having to worry about eating unbaked batter
  • helping the environment in a way I didn't before
  • being stronger
  • feeling more empowered
  • taking control of your health and your life.

Veganism is NOT...

  • a phase
  • a fad
  • becoming a crazy hippy
  • giving up a bra, wearing deodorant, or an otherwise normal life
  • extreme, or something to shy away from
Vegans get wrapped up into all sorts of negative stereotypes, just like other minorities. I told one of my friends at work today about how I have decided to become vegan and her immediate reply was "Oh, my son went through that phase, too". Which, needless to say, infuriated me. I was polite and listened to her ensuing rant, but why is it necessary for meat-eaters to do that sort of thing? It's obvious I've made up my mind about what I want to do-- I didn't ask for a meat-eater's opinion, so what gives? I don't harass people when I see them eating a cheeseburger (even though there are some vegans/vegetarians that would). I had another friend at work tell me that he hated vegetarians today. I just let that one lie, even though he said it right after I told him about becoming a vegan. As soon as I tell them my main motivation is to cure a health condition, they back right off. Anything "extreme" is acceptable as long as it's "curing" a disease or condition, but if it was for ethical reasons, you face the scorn of others. 

Even with the negativity, I am going to continue this. I need to--for my health and well being. A little bit of negativity never stopped me in anything in my life thus far; it's definitely not going to stop me now. I've got all the proof I need that this is a healthy lifestyle that I am going to continue for the rest of my life. When I'm thin and rid of my health problem, people will take notice and they'll ask me how I did it. And I'll reply with a big smile on my face and say "Simple. Stop eating meat." There's a reason you never see a fat vegan. Because it is healthy, and because it works.


No comments:

Post a Comment